About Me: Carmen Arismendy


I can still recall what my junior high school wood-shop teacher, Mr. Gorley, called me one day during class, he said, "Carmen, you are tiny but mighty."  

During school all that day, I thought on what he said to me.  I was a little offended at first because it annoyed me when people would call me short or small.  Back then I was a petite five foot spunky little nerd girl.  Then I thought about the word "mighty", which means, to posses great and impressive power or strength, especially in account of my size, that day I felt I grew by a few inches.

After that day, I would write on all my notebooks and in odd places the letters, 'T.B.M.', which was my special acronym 'Tiny But Mighty', it reminded me that there was nothing I couldn't do and the sky was the limit.  It meant that although I was small and a young girl in this world, I was not powerless, I was MIGHTY.  After that, I no longer cared if people called me 'short' or 'small', because that was only my physical package; inside, I was a force to be reckoned with and so that quote stuck and I have never forgotten that since.

Today, I'm still five fee tall and a nerd, a language nerd.  I'm a passionate entrepreneur, professional freelance interpreter-translator, amateur photographer, undiscovered poet, a mother of three, and a wife.


Growing up a daughter to immigrant parents who speak mostly Spanish, my siblings and I were always interpreting or translating for them and other family members.  Early on I realized how much I loved interpreting -and helping other translators and interpreters achieve happiness- ever since.



In 2005, I attended an extension college at the California State University of Northridge to learn everything I could about interpreting and translating: I loved it!

Having worked as an in-house translator-interpreter and currently as a professional freelancer, I founded eLingual.Net with the help of Pablo Raygoza, a fellow colleague.  We started the eLingual Network because we could not find a fair, no middleman, no bidding, ethical, and transparent meeting place for translators, interpreters, and clients online.  We had a vision of building a fair, ethical, and transparent business that not only helps professional translators and interpreter support the profession that brings them happiness but also support the clients who work with them.

At eLingual.Net, I wear many hats including presenting our unique meeting place to professional translators, interpreters, and clients.  I help develop translation and interpretation client related articles also career related articles for translators and interpreters.  One article I published on LinkedIn has been viewed over 12K times titled, Why Translators and Interpreters Compare Themselves to Doctors and Lawyers.  Since I have a limited budget (my wallet), I work on the website development with our head and only developer James, we look for new and efficient features which are in line with our mission.  Additionally, I single-handedly manage the West Coast Body & Paint office, website, and marketing, which I own with my husband.

On behalf of eLingual.Net, I welcome you to be a part of our little community and big movement.  A movement for ethical, transparent conditions, and good business practices for translators, interpreters and clients.  Our website is by no means perfect, it's a work in progress, but it's a step in the right direction.

Join our happy community, let's work together!

Several years later, I still keep a few reminders of my class with Mr. Gorley who called me "Tiny but Mighty".  My favorite wood-shop piece from his class I display proudly on my book shelf.  Recently I had to place the car on the highest shelf because my oldest boy got a hold of it, broke a piece and is still constantly asking to play with it.  My son prefers to play with what his mom made with her own two hands and a few pieces of wood over 20 years ago.  Every time I see the wooden car piece, I am reminded that I may be tiny, but, I am mighty.



The wooden car I made in my wood-shop class
As always, thank you for reading and sharing my posts.

Feel free to connect or email me, Carmen Arismendy.  I'm a professional Spanish interpreter-translator and founder of eLingual.Net.  I started the eLingual Network because I could not find a fair, no middleman, no job bidding, ethical, and transparent meeting place for translators, interpreters and clients online.  The website is in beta phase and by no means perfect but it's a step in the right direction.
eLingual.Net's mission is to spread happiness worldwide through happy translators, interpreters and clients.
For the professional translator and interpreter, this means no middleman, no job bidding, the freedom of setting their own fees, having control over their services, and who they choose to work with.
For the clients, this means working directly with ethical and professional translators and interpreters committed to quality and value.
Join our happy community, let's work together!

Popular posts from this blog

Quotes On Translation And Interpretation

Translator and Interpreter Expertise and Specializations Lists